In the ST3 ortho interview it is possible that you may be asked about surgical approaches. This may come up in the clinical section of the T&O interview, as a part of the management of a case, or as part of the applied clinical anatomy. Equally it may form part of the technical skills station.
The following are worth learning, you will need them when you become a registrar anyway!
- Henry’s Volar Approach to radius
- Thompson’s Dorsal Approach to radius
- Ulnar – subcutaneous bone, dissection straight onto it
- Hardinge Direct Lateral Approach
- Moore or Southern Posterior Approach
- Smith-Peterson Anterior Approach
- Watson-Jones Anterolateral Approach
- Medial Para Patella Approach
- Calf fasciotomies